Well thank you Hemispherx, it was a long process to get into the AMP 511, but yesterday I finally got my first taste of Ampligen.

No one can ever accuse me of packing lightly. I arrived at the doctor’s office on time and with a backpack containing my laptop, power cord, ear buds, 10 of my favorite movies, snacks, a couple of books and my very squeazable Build-A-Bear (I know – giggle if you must). 

I marched myself into the infusion room and settled into a recliner. My vitals were taken. (My BP was a little high, but hey- I could see the needle coming at me!) In no time at all I was donating two more vials of blood to Hemispherx.

Thereafter followed a quick shift from blood-letting to medicinal infusion. I was surprised that I could feel the Ampligen entering. It felt warm. I only remembered this morning that one of the most common side-effects mentioned on Hemispherx’s paperwork was “mild flushing reaction.” It was not unpleasant – just a surprise. (For anyone that has ever had an MRI with contrast it was a great deal milder than feeling the contrast dye entering.)

I had fleeting sensations of mild dizziness and mild nausea. Since I experience these sensations anyway I was not concerned. The only hitch in the whole process was that the drip rate refused to move at the speed it was set at. The full drip took one and a half hours rather than one hour. So, I watched two movies instead of one.

By the time I got home I was feeling a bit ‘off’. However, since I had just done more activity in one morning than I had done in a week I was not surprised. Two hours post infusion my temperature began to rise and I felt like someone had slipped me Roofie. I went to sleep where I was and was dead to the world for hours. I don’t remember falling asleep. When I woke up that ‘old familiar feeling’ was with me. I had a sore throat, fever, muscle aches, weakness, tiredness and brain fog that would put pea soup to shame. (I’m still unclear about last night’s Covert Affairs episode. Perhaps someone can use small words to explain it to me?)

I assumed that I would have difficulty falling asleep since, apparently, sleep was all I had done from lunch on. I was shocked when I awakened at 7:15 this morning. I don’t remember going to sleep (again). I had weird dreams, but they were not frightening. I woke up craving rotisserie chicken (go figure). I settled for bran cereal and toast. I don’t feel any worse today than I have for the past twenty-one years. And I have hope.

I took the dog for a short, slow walk this morning. While any exercise falls into the very unusual category, it is not unheard of for me to have a few precious minutes of strength first thing in the morning every so often.  For now, I am attributing my ability to both walk the dog and write this blog to being very relieved that yesterday is behind me and the unknown is a little less unknown. That said I am still really tired and brain fogged and I expect my grammatical and spelling capacity has been greatly affected. Thanks for reading this despite the errors!

I expect miracles to occur this year because I have faith in God and in myself. Gandhi said, “Strength does not come from physical capacity, it comes from an indomitable will.”

I can’t wait for Friday.